Today was less intense than yesterday and rather fun, as we looked for patterns in individual plants and then on the grounds themselves, and speculated on the causes.
- Only one of the apple trees is in full blossom already. [A different variety? A heat trap at the corner of the property?]
- Dandelions grow thickly in some places but not others. [Not deep or compacted enough for them? Different pH?]
- Sheep sorrel and wild strawberries are growing in gravel. [Acidity indicators. Lack of competition? These plants will grow in very little soil.]
- There’s one patch of wild mustard on the lawn.
- A deer trail can be seen on the east corner.
- There are a couple of surprising wet spots. [Bedrock near the surface? Clay deposit?]
- Different salt-tolerant vegetation at the far corner of the school. [Winter salt drained off the asphalt?]