We’re building hugelkultur/lasagna beds in the boarded-in rectangle at the far end of the former play area. We’re adding photos as we go.
- First, we shovel most of the gravel into the future pathways.
- Laying cardboard prevents existing plants from growing through and holds moisture, and it will disintegrate in a season, becoming part of the soil.
- Pile logs and branches into the planting area.
- Add bags of leaves, which settle into the cracks between the logs.
- Manure holds down the leaves and helps get decomposition going.
- Repeat as materials are available – logs, branches, woodchips, manure, leaves, straw, spoiled hay, seaweed etc.
- It would be nice to top it off with some soil and/or compost; we’ll see what we have available.
- Plant green manure, vegetables and herbs. In a year or two it will have broken down into a nice loose growing medium.