Our Artisan Showcase opened officially during our CommuniTEA and Open House on Aug. 25, 2012. Woodworker Lloyd Klassen made the sign on the outside of what used to be the principal’s office.
Our flagship event of the summer!
In conjunction with the Bridgewater Growing Green Festival, we are hosting a CommuniTEA & Open House on Aug. 25 at the Blockhouse School.
Come see what we’ve done, what is underway and what will yet be. Learn about the local flora with Herbalist Jeanette Poirier, and have a taste of the Blockhouse Blend Tea that she has created.
Discover and discuss ways that you can be part of it.
Lots of room for picnics and for kids to run and play. Everyone welcome!
David has transformed the exterior wall of the Artisan Showcase by turning the flaking, fading, painted cedar shingles around and nailing them back in place.
Rather than paint the shingles, we’ll let them fade naturally to silver.
Such re-use of materials to increase Beauty is the essence of the Artisan Showcase.
Our big summer event at The Blockhouse School will be on Saturday, August 25, in conjunction with the Bridgewater Growing Green Festival.
We will be open from 11 – 4:30, rain or shine.
Planned activities on site include:
- Tasting of our delicious new Blockhouse Blend herbal tea
- Plant Walk with herbalist Jeanette Poirier. Learn to identify common herbs and “weeds” and their traditional uses, including some of the herbs in our Blockhouse Blend Tea.
- Talk about Food Hub/Community Kitchen ideas
- View our new Artisan Showcase
- See the progress made so far on the grounds
- Bring your own picnic to enjoy in the sun or under a tree (or inside if it rains)
- More activities are being planned. Got something you’d like to do? Contact a board member.
UPDATE July 20: The Artisan Showcase now has its own section on this website.
The Artisan Showcase, located in the former administration office off the gym, is coming together, showing the work of several members and directors.
Many of the items are produced using materials that would otherwise end up as waste, whether post consumer or post manufacturing.
Other materials include selectively logged lumber or fabric scraps.
Creativity, innovation and beauty will come together in our Showcase which will be open by appointment or by chance.
We’re not recycling in name only, we’re recycling the name! Literally. Letter-ally.
What can you spell with the letters in “ECOLE DE LA RIVE-SUD”?
Our word wizards came up with this solution:
Particularly apt for our new Artisan Showcase, don’t you think? Or the whole project. “Dig and delve.”