What is a Community Kitchen?
A key goal of the Blockhouse School Project is to build a Community Kitchen as a Food Hub and Small Business Incubator.
What it will look like?
Who will it serve?
How will it do this?
These questions are part of our ongoing discussions.
We hope that individuals with expertise, great ideas and energy will help build the team to make this happen.
It’s More than Just About Food
It’s also about:
- agriculture and food production
- food preservation
- health and wellness
- food and culture
- food production in the local economy.
There’s so much to talk about it as we explore and build the connections “From Field to Table”.
What is a Food Hub?
The Blockhouse Community Kitchen is in an ideal spot to become a Food Hub. There are many roles it could play:
- a centre for learning and teaching,
- catering workshops on the property or elsewhere,
- rental by individuals or small groups.
All ages can be involved. The long-term goal is to build a
sustainable and innovative community-based
How to get from Field to Table
Field to Table programs, resources and workshops may include such things as:
Recipes for Change:
Sessions on seasonal topics around
- gathering and selecting quality food,
- “How to make it last” – processing and food storage.
These are old skills we can share in new ways.
Cooking Classes or Workshops
- Tips and techniques,
- partner with our growers and chefs,
- internships for culinary students,
- engage other food and nutrition specialists;
- learning ways to eat and prepare food from a variety of perspectives (including vegan, gluten-free, paleo, raw food diets, eating wild, cultural diversity and considerations, etc.)
- Cooking on a Budget
- Cooking Out of the Box sessions.
- Document as a video series for YouTube
Retail Challenges & Opportunities
- Building a network to support local growers and producers by providing a place to sell or produce value-added products.
- Kitchen Rentals for individuals pursuing food production as a business, community groups, etc..
- Develop a flexible business model that meets the needs of the Blockhouse Community Kitchen as well as those of small food producers.
Volunteers, Members & Partners
Become a member of the South Shore Social Ventures Co-op Ltd.
Join this ongoing conversation to help make the Community Kitchen happen.